wonders never cease
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 16th, 2009 play list of the week: walker lamond's required listening
[caption id="attachment_2506" align="alignleft" width="250" caption="click to listen"]
[/caption]Walker Lamond is a cool dude. He's clever, funny, has good taste in books and music and is a sharp dresser. He also lives down the street from our Georgetown shop and has written a great book, Rules For My Unborn Son, which he is graciously signing in our Dupont Circle shop from 4 - 7 PM today. One of the many invaluable pearls of wisdom that can be found in this delightful book is a list of Required Listening for Boys (we'll add "and for Girls"), and for today's play list we have chosen fourteen of our favorites with an accompanying excerpt from the book. Enjoy, and feel free to stop by our Dupont shop to discuss with the author:
1. "Straighten Up and Fly Right" - Nat King Cole
"Hold doors, pull out chairs, easy on the swears." - Will Smith
2. "Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway
3. "Twist and Shout" - The Beatles
"Dance with your partner, not at her. But don't forget to lead."
4. "Many Rivers to Cross" - Jimmy Cliff
"Traveling to a foreign city is an excuse to dress up, not down."
5. "Roadrunner" - Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers
"You won't always be the strongest or fastest. You can be the toughest."
6. "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell
"No gang is complete without one cool girl."
7. "Surrender" - Cheap Trick
"You don't get to choose your own nickname."
8. "A Quick One While He's Away" - The Who
"Your best chance of being a rock star is learning the bass."
9. "Girlfriend In a Coma" - The Smiths
"Remember, the girl you're with is someboby's sister. And he's perfectly capable of kicking your ass."
10. "This Land Is Your Land" - Woody Guthrie
"Never criticize the government of your own country when you are abroad."
11. "Let's Go Crazy" - Prince
"If you absolutely have to fight, punch first and punch hard."
12. "Waiting On a Friend" - The Rolling Stones
"Support friends in the arts. Especially if they stink."
13. "Thirteen" - Big Star
"Never under any circumstances ask a woman if she is pregnant."
14. "These Arms of Mine" - Otis Redding
"Never turn down a girl's invitation to dance."